1901 Team.png


Port Talbot was initially formed in 1901 and spent it's early years playing in the Swansea Senior League - starting at the bottom of the Welsh pyramid.  Early records show that one of the club’s biggest wins came in the 1909/10 season when they beat Llanelli 10-0.  After World War 1 it is assumed that the club again played in the Swansea League until 1926, when they became a founding member of the Port Talbot and District Association Football League.

In the 1928/29 season a team sporting the name Seaside Athletic were competing in the Welsh League Division 2 Western Section and sources say this was the same club that formed in 1901.

Port Talbot continued to ply their trade in the Second Division until 1956/57 when they won promotion to the topflight.  They were never comfortable and it is no surprise when they were relegated after just one season.

After a rebuilding programme, they again gained promotion finishing the 1961/62 season as champions, however once again they suffered relegation after just one season.  Following a re-organisation of the league in the 1964/65 season, Port Talbot found themselves in the new Division 1 and remained there until 1970/71 when again they had to face relegation.  A major set-back for the club.

The club remained in Division 2 until 1982/83 when they finished runners up to Tondu Robins and won promotion back to the first division. 

Port Talbot were included in the new National Division of the Welsh League in 1984/85 and stayed there until 1990/91 when again they faced relegation.

The club missed out on a place in the inaugural League of Wales and worse was to follow when they were relegated to the present-day division 2 in 1993/94.  

Better times were to follow under the leadership of Steve Llewellyn and Alan Meacham and the club won a place in the top division on the last day of the season at local rivals Goytre Utd in 1995/96.

After a period of consolidation, the team finished 5th in 1997/98 under David Rees and Craig Duggan who were in their first season in the managerial hot seat.

This became a turning point, with Andrew Edwards taking over as chairman in 1998/99 and beginning on off field transformation of the club.  A three-year plan was put into operation which included winning promotion to the League of Wales and establishing a youth system from U7's right up to U18's.

The 1999/2000 saw the club achieve promotion to the League of Wales and the introduction of two junior teams and a youth team in the MacWhirter Youth League.

Many improvements were carried out around the ground, which included refurbishment of the dressing rooms, a new 260-seater stand, floodlights, a television camera gantry, turnstiles and a hard standing around the ground.

The team made a satisfactory start in the League of Wales, winning six games before Christmas, this was followed by a disappointing end to the campaign.  Nonetheless, Kevin Bartley was the league's third top goal scorer with an impressive 23 goals in the season.

To mark their centenary year, the club changed its name from Port Talbot Athletic to Port Talbot Town at the start of the 2001/02 season.  

The 2003/04 season saw the team reach the semi-finals of the Welsh Cup for the first time but lost to TNS 1-0 at Park Avenue.

The Steelmen found themselves battling relegation for much of the 2004/05 season, but they eventually finished a comfortable 13th under new manager, Wayne Davies.

During the season, Andrew Edwards proposed a merger with local rivals Afan Lido, who play less than 1 mile from Victoria Road.  This was made in the belief that it would produce a stronger, more commercially viable club for the town.  Lido rejected this offer even though some of their senior officials were in favour.

Off the field, the club progressed further and boosted it's seating capacity with the construction of the 750 seater Gerald McCreesh stand.  A further building was also named after Gerald - The Gerald McCreesh Suite, with the introduction of the new and improved hospitality facilities.  This was followed up with heavy investment into the playing surface making it one of the best grounds in the Welsh Premier League.

The end of the 2006/07 season saw Wayne Davies step down as manager after claiming a memorable scalp in defeating Swansea City in the FAW Premier Cup while also taking the club to another Welsh Cup semi-final and also the Challenge Cup Final.  Tony Pennock was appointed as manager as the club looked to build further on their on-field success but an unsuccessful start to his campaign saw the former Newport County and Yeovil Town goalkeeper resign in November.

Nicky Tucker was appointed to replace Pennock after impressing at Welsh League side Dinas Powys and made an immediate impact with the team finishing 4th.  

December 2008 saw the re-appointment of Mark Jones as manager following the sacking of Nicky Turner.  Mark quickly turned around the fortunes of the team and saw a fifth-place finish.  Jones was busy in the transfer market ahead of the 2009-10 season bringing in 6 new players.  A superb 2009-10 season saw the club qualify for the UEFA Europa League for the first time with a 3rd place finish.  This gave the team a fixture against Finnish side FC Turku over two legs.  The club also reached the final of the Welsh Cup Final for the first time but lost 3-2 to Bangor City at Parc-Y-Scarlets.

This season also saw success for the U16's academy as they lifted the FAW Academy Cup.

2010/11 became a significant year in the development year as the Welsh Premier League voted to reduce the league to 12 clubs and to introduce a new play-off format.  The new format would bring little joy to Port Talbot however, who despite making the top six cut, were eliminated in their first play-off game away to Prestatyn Town.

The season that followed saw Port Talbot fail to reach the top six cut and lose in the Welsh Cup to local rivals Afan Lido.

A busy off-season saw a host of signings, including the high-profile arrival of Rhys Griffiths.  His time was cut shot however, following his departure for a professional contract at Plymouth Argyle.

After an uninspiring start to the 2012/13 season, December saw the sacking of Mark Jones bringing an end to his four-year tenure as manager.

Former Cardiff City player Scott Young was shortly appointed as manager with Marc Cahill moving to 1st team coach and with an influx of new players, this brought about a comfortable top six finish. 

In 2015/16 Andy Dyer was first team manager and his team reached the semi-final of the Welsh Cup bowing out to Airbus with a 7-0 loss.  Just weeks later the club was relegated from the Welsh Premier League, despite finishing above the relegation zone.  The club had been refused a FAW Domestic License and lost its appeal. 

This saw the club undergo a massive overhaul of its internal structure.  A new chairman, vice-chair, secretary and treasurer were appointed and formed a committee of staff and fans alike.  The wage bill was drastically reduced and newly appointed first team manager Mark Pike, formed a squad of local players to take the club forward.  Despite working with one of the lowest playing budgets the in club in nearly two decades, relegation was avoided in the 2018/19 season.  It was however a case of deja vu as the club was demoted to tier 3 of the pyramid system due to licencing issues.

Despite this second demotion in recent years the club continued to operate under a sustainable model.

Another change in personnel and committee saw the club have a renewed boost of effort and enthusiasm behind the scenes but this was short lived following a period of Government imposed lockdown due to the Coronavirous Pandemic when Mark Pike chose to resign days before the start of the 2021/22 season.   

The committee worked tirelessly to form a new coaching team and done a fantastic job of bringing in Grant Kalahar, Conor McGaharan and Sam O'Sullivan.